Spot.IM Ltd., together with its affiliated companies (“Spot.IM“, “we“, “our” or “us“) provides a social engagement platform (the “Platform“) that brings together the online publishing industry and helps their digital media partners to curate their communities’ social interactions directly.
Our Platform, our website available at www.spot.im (the “Site“) and the Spot.IM mobile application (the “App“, and together with the Site and Platform – the “Services“) enable media companies to take back ownership of their audience and conversations and let go of their reliance on external social networks – by integrating, embedding or otherwise using our Platform and Services within their websites, blogs and other digital products or services (“Third Party Sites”).
We respect the privacy of our visitors, users and partners, and are strongly committed to making our practices regarding their personal data more transparent and fair.
1. Data Collection
2. Data Uses
3. Data Location and Retention
4. Data Sharing
5. Cookies, Tracking Technologies and Advertising Uses
7. Data Security
8. Data Subject Rights
9. Children’s Privacy
10. Data Controller/Processor
11. Additional Notices
You are not legally required to provide us with any Personal Data (defined below), but without it we will not be able to provide you with the full range of Services or with the best user experience when using our Services.
Spot.IM adheres to the Self-Regulatory Principles set forth by the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA), and to the Interactive Advertising Bureau’s (IAB) Europe Online Behavioral Advertising Framework. To update your AdChoices Opt Out settings, select your region here.
We collect data regarding our Visitors, Users and Partners. Such data is typically collected and generated through the Visitor’s or User’s interaction with our Services, through automatic means, directly from such Visitor or User, from our Partners, or from other third parties.
Specifically, we collect the following categories of data (which, to the extent it relates to an identified or identifiable individual, will be deemed as “Personal Data“):
1. Data automatically collected or generated: When you visit, interact with or use our Services, we may collect or generate certain technical data about you. We collect or generate such data either independently or with the help of third party services (as detailed in Section 4 below), including through the use of “cookies” and other tracking technologies (as further detailed in Section 5 below).
Such data mainly consists of connectivity, technical and aggregated usage data, such as IP addresses, non-identifying data regarding a device, operating system, browser version, locale and language settings used, the cookies and pixels installed on such device and the activity (clicks and other interactions) of Visitors and Users in connection with our Services. We mainly use this data to gain a better understanding on how Visitors and Users typically use and interact with our Services; how we could improve their user experience; to optimize our marketing campaigns and ad management; and to optimize the overall performance of our Services.
2. Data received from you: You may provide us with Personal Data such as your name, contact details (such as e-mail, phone and address), account login details (such as username and hashed passwords), workplace and position, profile picture and description (collectively, “Account Data“), as well as any other data you choose to provide when you use our Services, create a user account or contact us.
3. Data received from our Partners and Users: our Partners and Users may provide us with data concerning their friends, community members, colleagues or employees, so we could contact them regarding our Services (e.g. to offer or provide them with our Services). Such data usually refers to such individuals’ name, role, company and work or personal contact details, as relevant, however additional data may be provided at the Partner’s discretion.
4. Data received from third parties: we may receive your Personal Data from other sources. For example, if you participate in an event or webinar that we sponsor or participate in, we may receive your Personal Data from the event organizers. We may also receive your contact and professional details (e.g., your name, company, position, contact details and professional experience, preferences and interests) from our business partners or services provides, and through the use of tools and channels commonly used for connecting between companies and individuals in order to explore potential business and employment opportunities, such as LinkedIn.
We use Personal Data as necessary for the performance of our Services; to comply with applicable law; and to support our legitimate interests in maintaining and improving our Services and offerings, understanding how our Services are used, optimizing our marketing, advertising, customer service and support operations, and protecting and securing our Visitors, Users, Partners, ourselves and our Services, as well as members of the general public.
Specifically, we use Personal Data for the following purposes:
1. To facilitate, operate, and provide our Services;
2. To manage and deliver personalized advertisements and content more effectively, including contextual, interests-based and other types of targeted advertising based on the User’s activity on our Services and Third Party Sites, their preferences or other data available to us or to our business partners, including for re-targeting purposes;
3. To authenticate the identity of our Users, and to allow them access to our Services;
4. To provide our Visitors, Users and Partners with assistance and support;
5. To further develop, customize and improve the Services and your user experience, based on common or personal preferences, experiences and difficulties;
6. To contact our Visitors, Users and Partners with general or personalized service-related messages and calls (such as password-retrieval emails or support or billing-related calls) and promotional messages and calls (such as with respect to new features or special offers and opportunities etc.); and to facilitate, sponsor and offer certain events and promotions;
7. To support and enhance our data security and content compliance measures, including for the purposes of preventing and mitigating the risks of fraud, abuse, error or any illegal or prohibited activity;
8. To create aggregated statistical data, inferred non-personal data or anonymized or pseudonymized data (rendered non-personal), which we or our business partners may use to provide and improve our respective services; and
9. To comply with any applicable laws and regulations.
Data Location: Your Personal Data may be maintained, processed and stored by us and our authorized affiliates and Service Providers (defined below) in the United States of America and other jurisdictions, as necessary for the proper delivery of our Services, or as may be required by law.
Spot.IM operates from Israel and the United States. Israel is considered by the European Commission to be offering an adequate level of protection for the Personal Data of EU Member State residents.
Spot.IM Inc. adheres to the principles of the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks. To learn more, please visit our Privacy Shield Notice at: https://spot.im/privacy-shield
Data Retention: We typically retain Users’ Personal Data for as long as their account is active, or as long as we consider necessary for the purposes described herein (which may extend even after their account is inactivated).
We keep Visitors’, Users’ and Partners’ Personal Data for as long as reasonably necessary in order to maintain and expand our relationship and to provide them with our Services.
We will also retain your Personal Data for as long as is required in order to comply with our legal and contractual obligations, or to protect ourselves from any potential disputes (i.e. as required by laws applicable to log-keeping, records and bookkeeping, and in order to have proof and evidence concerning our relationship, should any legal issues arise following your discontinuance of use), in accordance with our internal data retention policy.
Please note that except as required by applicable law, we will not be obligated to retain your Personal Data for any particular period, and we are free to securely delete it for any reason and at any time, with or without notice to you. If you have any questions about our data retention policy, please contact us by email at email@example.com.
Legal Compliance: We may disclose or allow government and law enforcement officials access to your Personal Data, in response to a subpoena, search warrant or court order (or similar requirement), or in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Such disclosure or access may occur if we believe in good faith that we are legally compelled to do so, or that disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding actual or suspected illegal activity, fraud, or other wrongdoing.
Service Providers: We may engage selected third party companies and individuals to perform services complementary to our own (e.g. hosting services, data analytics services, marketing and advertising services, data and cyber security services, payment processing services, user engagement services, e-mail distribution and monitoring services, text messaging services, session recording, and our business, legal and financial advisors) (collectively, “Service Providers“). These Service Providers may have access to your Personal Data, depending on each of their specific roles and purposes in facilitating and enhancing our Services, and may only use it for such purposes.
Sharing Personal Data with our Partners: We may share the Personal Data of Users who use our Services on a Third Party Site, with the Partner operating such Third Party Site (including data and communications concerning their user account), regardless of their account registration method. Please note that Spot.IM is not responsible for and does not control any further disclosure, use or monitoring by or on behalf of such Partner, that itself acts as the “Data Controller” of such data (as further described in Section 10 below).
Protecting Rights and Safety: We may share your Personal Data with others if we believe in good faith that this will help protect the rights, property or personal safety of Spot.IM, any of our Visitors, Users or Partners, or any members of the general public.
For the avoidance of doubt, Spot.IM may share your Personal Data in additional manners, pursuant to your explicit approval, or if we are legally obligated to do so, or if we have successfully rendered such data non-personal and anonymous. We may transfer, share or otherwise use non-personal data at our sole discretion and without the need for further approval.
Our Services also utilize advertising for third party services and products. We and our advertising partners use certain data about you in order to improve our advertising practices and make the ads we deliver more effective, relevant and enjoyable, including by deploying contextual, interest-based and other types of advertising, as well as targeting, ad measurement and attribution systems. The ads and content we or our advertising partners deliver may be shown within our Services or through other channels, such as third-party websites and applications.
Such data includes your IP address, cookies, pixels and other unique identifiers, data related to your connected Social Network Account, and other demographic and interests-based information that we or our advertising partners may have received from or about you, based on your consent or another legal basis (i.e., as required in order to provide you with our respective services, or based on the legitimate interests that we described in Section 2 above).
A list of the cookies and other tracking technologies we use, as well as additional information concerning our advertising partners and networks (and their policies), can be found here: https://www.spot.im/cookies/.
Spot.IM supports initiatives of greater transparency and control for users, and offers the following options for controlling the interest-based content and ads you receive: If you reside in the EU and do not want to receive interest-based ads displayed by Spot.IM, you can disable the display of such ads by visiting the EDAA consumer choice page at www.youronlinechoices.eu. You may also use the NAI opt out tool, which will allow you to opt out of seeing targeted ads from other NAI-approved member companies, and for mobile opt outs, the NAI provides instructions to engage system-level opt outs in Android, iOS, and Windows Phone environments.
Please note that opting out will not prevent you from seeing ads sourced from us on our Service or on other websites, but it will affect the types of ads that you will see. These ads will no longer be tailored to your interests and instead will be chosen based on the particular website that you are viewing (i.e. contextually based ads). Because our tracking mechanisms operate at the device and browser level, to fully opt-out across devices, you will need to do so on each device and browser individually. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit the EDAA consumer choice page, your-opt out may not be effective.
Service Communications: We may contact you with important information regarding our Services. For example, we may notify you (through any of the means available to us, e.g. phone, mobile, web notifications or e-mail) of changes or updates to our Services, billing issues, service changes, password-retrieval notices, etc. Typically, you will not be able to opt-out of receiving such service communications while using our Services, as they are integral to such use.
Notifications and Promotional Communications: We may send you notifications, messages and other updates about new features, offerings, events and special opportunities or any other information we think our Users or Partners will find valuable. We may provide such notices through any of the contact means available to us, through the Services, or through our marketing campaigns on any other sites or platforms.
If you do not wish to receive such promotional communications, you may notify Spot.IM at any time by changing your communications preferences in your account, by following the “unsubscribe”, “stop”, “opt-out” or “change e-mail preferences” instructions contained in the promotional communications you receive, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to protect your Personal Data held with us and our Service Providers, we are using industry-standard physical, procedural and electronic security measures, including encryption as appropriate. However, please be aware that regardless of any security measures used, we cannot and do not guarantee the absolute protection and security of any Personal Data stored with us or with any third parties as described in Section 4 above.
If you wish to exercise your rights under any applicable law, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), to request access to, and rectification or erasure of your Personal Data held with Spot.IM, or to restrict or object to such Personal Data’s processing, or to port such Personal Data – please follow the instructions available on our dedicated page available here, or contact us by email at email@example.com.
Please note that once you contact us by e-mail, we may require additional information and documents, including certain Personal Data, in order to authenticate and validate your identity and to process your request. Such additional data will be then retained by us for legal purposes (e.g. as proof of the identity of the person submitting the request), in accordance with Section 3 above.
Our Services are not designed to attract children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children and do not wish to do so. If we learn that a person under the age of 16 is using the Services, we will prohibit and block such use and will make all efforts to promptly delete any Personal Data stored with us with regard to such child. If you believe that we might have any such data, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certain data protection laws and regulations, such as the EU GDPR, typically distinguish between two main roles for parties processing Personal Data: the “Data Controller”, who determines the purposes and means of processing; and the “Data Processor”, who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. Below we explain how these roles apply to our Services, to the extent that such laws and regulations apply.
If you would like to make any requests or queries regarding Personal Data we process on our Partner’s behalf, please contact such Partner directly. For example, if you are an end-user of our Partner who wishes to access, correct, or delete data processed by Spot.IM on behalf of such Partner, please direct your request to the relevant Partner.
Dr. Andreas Mätzler has been designated as Spot.IM’s representative in the European Union for data protection matters pursuant to Article 27 of the GDPR. Inquiries regarding EU privacy practices may be sent to Dr. Mätzler at Schellinggasse 3/10, Vienna 1010, Austria, or by e-mail to email@example.com. If you are a GDPR-protected individual, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.